The City of Austin RENT Assistance Program Application Process OPENS
Monday, March 15, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The City of Austin and the Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) have launched the Relief of Emergency Needs for Tenants (RENT) Assistance Program. The program is for income-eligible Austin renters that live within the City of Austin Full Purpose Jurisdiction and have been financially impacted by COVID-19. The program will provide direct rent relief of $29.5 million between March 15, 2021 and December 2021, or until all funds are spent.
If you have questions, you may call 512-488-1397 from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except for observed holidays. The RENT Assistance program receives and accepts Video Relay Service (VRS) calls from people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing.
For other Housing Resources and information, visit austintexas.gov/housing-resources.
- What is the City of Austin RENT Assistance Program?
- How does the RENT Assistance Program work?
- If I received funds through the City of Austin RENT Pilot Program last Spring or the RENT Program, am I disqualified from applying to this program?
- What are the eligibility criteria for the City of Austin RENT Assistance Program?
- Do I have to be a US citizen or legal resident to apply?
- How do I know if my address is within the City of Austin’s full purpose jurisdiction?
- If I am currently homeless or staying temporarily with a friend, family member, or in a series of other people's homes, am I eligible for RENT funds?
- When are applications being accepted for the City of Austin RENT Assistance Program?
- How can I apply for the City of Austin RENT funds?
- How much is the RENT assistance payment?
- Can RENT funds be applied towards past due rent?
- Will the landlord or the applicant receive the RENT funds, and how will the funds be disbursed?
- If I am a tenant and I receive RENT funds, is it counted as income?
- What do I do if I have more questions about the RENT Assistance Program?
- How do I fill out the application?
- Is the application available in languages other than English?
- What if I do not have an e-mail address?
- If I need free access to a public computer with Internet access, what resources are available?
- If I need help in submitting my application, what resources are available?
- Is there a cost to apply for the RENT Assistance Program?
- Can I use my smartphone to apply?
- Can someone else apply for me?
- How many applications may I submit?
- What do I do if I live with roommates?
- Does applying for the City of Austin RENT Assistance Program mean I will receive benefits?
- Which documents are renters required to provide with their application?
- Which income documents can be used to prove prior or current income?
- Which documentation can be used to prove a COVID-related income loss?
- How do I upload documents to my application?
- How will I know that my application was submitted?
- How do I check the status of my application?
- When will the random selections of applications occur for eligibility reviews?
- Will randomly selected applicants be notified that their application was chosen for eligibility review?
- If my application was not chosen in the random selection process, what is next?